Two Saturdays ago we packed the kids in the car and headed out to RVA (Rift Valley Academy) where Brian went to school. I now have only one more place to visit in order to see all the places Brian has called home. The kids had the opportunity to particiapte in Titchie field day. This is a day where the kids spend the first part of the day participating in various activities. This field day happened to revolve around water. Jasper jumped in immeadiately and was soaked in no time. Both Alaina and Zoe stayed glued to my side watched as people threw water on each other, played tug-of-war and other water games. Milo went in and out of joining Jasper's age group. All but Zoe went down the HUGE water slipe and slide. This day is also a chance for the Junior and Senior classes to raise money for class trips as well as their equivelent of Prom.
It is very common here to have house help. People have been continually shocked that I manage my household by myself. Mind you I am not a very good housekeeper I cook, clean and take of my kids everyday. Last week we finally hired help. I found almost immediately that I felt challenged. I felt dirty, inadequate, and lazy. I think if I had something else to do during the day I might not feel so strange. It is also nice not to have to do the tedious tasks we particiapte in every day. Though I have to say I truly enjoy hanging my laundry on the line.
It is amazing the difference in society. Our watchmen works seven days a week twelve hours each day. His wage for an entire month works out to be $62.50. For an entire month!!! People are always asking for work, money loans or some sort of help. One thing we have done is that when some one asks for money instead of just giving it to them they essentially earn it. While it may sound harsh the alternative would be a line outside the door. I am more and more convinced that the best way to help is to give people a sense of ownership and responsibility. I had mentioned getting a sewing machine, which I hope to aquire this weekend. Something that had not occured to me before was passing it off to someone here. Since the idea was planted in my head it has blossomed. The help I mentioned before is a single mother of two who also takes care of her sister. Though I am not a teacher I have approached her about the possibility of teaching her to sew and passing the machine to her. You would not believe how much a sewing machine could benefit someone!
Our time here has been truly eye opening and humbling. We are truly blessed to have this opportunity and I only hope that the things we learn and experience here change us and stay with us for a lifetime. I am truly blessed by all of you in my life!
No comments:
Post a Comment