Our first trip to Tanzania was discouraging to say the least. Brian and I got up at five in order to get the car pack and the kids ready to be on the road by six. Step one accomplished! About and hour or so later the car stopped running and we were forced to pull off the road. We called a friend to pick me and the kids up and Brian called the mechanic. After an hour or so we discovered one of the wires connecting to the ignition had come off. Brian was able to fix it and we were on the road once more. After traveling for a couple more hours through beautiful country we made it to the Kenya Tanzania border. There we found out we would need a log book to show proof of ownership for the car as well as different insurance. We had neither. We were able to secure insurance and get our departure stamps from Kenya customs. We drove through the cross section to Tanzania customs. There we found out for a single entry visa we would have to pay $100 per person, that adds up quickly when you have six people. Not to mention we would have to pay a fee for the car. We decided that given those costs it would not be practical to continue. We got in the car and headed back to Kenya and Nairobi. I cried. I figured this was just God's way of telling me I was being superficial and selfish and that I was not supposed to run this race. I spent a fair amount of time trying to let go of the race and asking God to help me know there was a reason for it.
Once we got home and got settled for the evening we got a phone call from some long time Casady family friends. She was offering to watch all four kids so that Brian and I could cross the border and I could run the race. We took her up on her offer, secured some seats on the shuttle and found a place to stay. Saturday morning we headed to the Tanzania border once again. This time we crossed it. We made it to the hotel in time to pay for and secure my spot in the race and then headed out for dinner.
| Mishikaki (kebabs), tandoori chicken and zanzibar pizza...yum! |
| Before the race, Kili in the background |
After we got out of the stadium grounds we headed up hill... for 10.5 kilometers (or roughly 6.5 miles). I realized right away how poorly prepared I was since all my training was done on a treadmill. I did not dwell on that or how much it hurt. I was trying desperately to soak it all in. I also realized I should have been running with a camera. This was like no race I have been in or seen. Shortly after we made it to the road we had a row of matatus, cars and pikis honking at us and splitting the runners like the red sea in order to get their passengers to their destination.
The steady uphill grade wore on me right away and I decided instead of trying to be a super star I would walk up the hills, as many of my fellow racers did, and run on the flat-ish spots. I kept telling myself that I would get to go down on the way back, it helped...a little. As we headed up the road we had an awesome view of Mount Kilimajaro as it peeked through trees and over the hills. We ran by farms, shops and houses. There were a number of well wishers on the side of the road who would laugh, clap and shout at the runners. I assume it was encouragement but since I don't speak much Swahili I can't be sure. :) I saw people running in hiking boots, loafers, jeans, suit jackets, dress shirts and capri pants. From time to time two to three kids would jump in and run with us for a kilometer or two, dressed in their church clothes and wearing flip flops and sandals.
It was amazing to see the marathoners and half marathoners fly passed towards the finish line. I was counting my stars that I had chosen not to run the marathon. After long last I reached the top and got to turn around. I have to admit that the down was not as easy as I had hoped it would be but it was a nice break from going up. I still allowed myself to walk and for a good part of the race frog hopped with a number of other racers. The last several kilometers I tried to push my self even harder. I was going to finish this race in less than three hours! I was worn out, starting to hurt and my lungs felt like they were on fire. I could see other racers walking towards me wearing their medals. I felt a push from somewhere inside and made myself move my short legs a little faster. I could now hear the music from the stadium and the announcer calling things out. I ran into the stadium and through the finish line. I was done! I wanted to laugh, cry and lay down.
About two and a half years ago my cousin died in a motorcycle accident. When we were kids we were going to get married. We were only about a year apart in age and when he died it really sent me for a loop. He was a runner and I have now worn the pin with his picture in two races. It got some attention this time and one of the officials asked me "What's this all about then"? After I told him I was asked again by the woman holding the camera, little ole me got an interview.
I feel extremely blessed to have had this experience. I thank God for making it happen and I also thank our friends the Bakkers, my wonderful bonus dad and my awesome hubby. So many wheels in this machine made a race possible for me. I would love to come back sometime in the future and run the full marathon, God Willing!!
I am blessed by all of you in my life. Thank you for your support and your prayer for me and our family. Thank you for following us in this phase of life.
So awesome! You rock!
ReplyDelete