The Weasel Clan

The Weasel Clan

Monday, January 24, 2011

The Game of Life

It has been over a week since we took our field trip to the Nairobi Game Park. So far that was the most exciting game drive we have been on. Once we passed through the gates we came upon a group of giraffe. A short thirty minutes later Brian and I both spotted the silhouette of a head. At first we thought maybe it was a hyena. As we circled around we found that we had come upon a lion. We followed it for a bit and we swung back down to the road where we first spotted it. As we searched the grass we spotted the head and then the body of a young female lion. She was headed in our direction. We got out our cameras and starting snapping pictures. Milo got a very good shot and I got a couple too.



We drove around for a few more hours spotting more zebra, gazelle, coke beast, eland, ostrich and other birds. We took a break for lunch at the Hippo pools. The askari took us down by the water and gave us a little tour. We saw the tail of a crocodile and several turtles. We spent another hour or so wandering about and decided to stretch our legs at another picnic spot. After sometime I was standing on a log talking to Brian and happened to glance up between the trees. There I saw a rhino. As we watched them we found there was not just one but a mom and two babies. We were quite excited! We watched them for a bit and then decided to finish up our drive. We then spotted four rhino in a group and one lone rhino. As we circled around we saw another group of three. We went back in the trees and saw a group of buffalo. All in all I think we had a very successful game drive.








We signed up for an Internet service in the beginning of December. We were never hooked up. This last week we had several people come and tell us they were working on our account and that we should be hooked up by Monday. And still we are not hooked up. There are a number of things that just don't function like they do in the states. As a matter of fact most things don't. It took a little over a month for the box my parents sent to reach us. If there is a task that needs to be done it takes upwards of an hour, or more, just to get it accomplished. Yesterday we were without power for the entire day save an hour or two in the morning. You learn very quickly that getting upset does not get anything done. It is just easier to accept the way things are and find the good in what is happening. Yesterday I was able to spend more time reading and spending time with my kids, not rushing about from task to task.

I have found that I have been able to love and appreciate them more than I usually do over the last few weeks. That is not to say that I don't still get irritated with them. On occasion I wish that I could escape for an hour or more. I have also decided that I will excuse myself from my pity party and get on with life. I was diagnosed with depression when I was younger and I still battle it...often. (If you couldn't tell) I have made a decision to not take meds and just work through my issues the best I can. It makes for some dark and lonely times for sure. Over the last week or so I have found comfort in God's word and also in the encouragement I have received from so many of you. What would life be without our Lord and without the relationships he provides for us? I thank you all for the support and love you have shown me!

We are just about half way through our time here. It is amazing that it seems like such a long time but also how quickly it has passed. I think the next three months will go by before I know it and we will be home in no time. Alaina and I both still struggle a bit with being homesick and Zoe just keeps getting sick. The boys seem to be doing well and are showing vast improvement in their swimming skills.

I thank you all so much for being a part of our time here. I am blessed by all of you in my life! Only about 5 more weeks until the half marathon. I just pray that I am ready! :) Much love!

2 comments:

  1. What beautiful animals! Finally had a chance to catch up with the blog...so fun to read about the holiday, birthday, food adventures. The kids all have grown so much! Feel so badly for the girls - and you, illness is not happy times for anyone. Keep running - those endorphins should surely help any sadness or depression (though don't disregard drugs out of hand, they CAN help). Hi to all - we miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really does seem like such an amazing adventure : )

    ReplyDelete