The Weasel Clan

The Weasel Clan

Monday, November 15, 2010

What is an Hour?

I am thinking this should be done a little more often. We have had another exciting week here in Nairobi. On Tuesday we moved in to our apartment. Which meant that our suitcases and our bodies came to inhabit the space. Lucky for us just as it got dark and all the kids were ready to settle in to bed Brian showed up with mattresses and blankets. Wednesday we waited for money to come over the wire so we could purchase furniture and other household items. In the meantime Brian and I spent the day gathering plates, bowls, cooking utensils and towels. Not to mention a thing or two to nibble on. I was struck by the fact that this apartment really is bigger than my own home and has four more bathrooms. By late Thursday we had most of the furniture in the apartment. The beds for both the boys and the girls are being made as I type and should, God willing, be here by tomorrow. We picked out fabric for curtains which were to be here yesterday. In Kenya time that could mean today or tomorrow.

Our visitor. This was taken from the kitchen.


The pace of life is far different than that at home. I have found that the stress I carry in my neck and shoulders at home has all but disappeared here. This is something I hope to bring home with me. That and a willingness to be more hospitable, especially in my own home.

On Friday another Mzungu from upstairs invited me and the kids to a play date at a local cafe. The place was not your average get together for moms but very relaxing. I should mention that a number of women here have house help. This person not only does the cleaning but often will do the cooking and looks after the kids. While I have essentially brought my own help I find it hard to give up control. Aside from that Zoe has a hard time giving up my arm...


On Saturday our family along with Mutisya, Beth and their daughter Mwende went out with intentions of visiting Nairobi National Game Park. Instead we ventured through the Animal Orphanage that was in the park. The kids enjoyed seeing all of the animals, though I think Laura had the best time.






Sunday we had the privilege of going to church with Mutisya and Beth. The church service was very similar to something you would experience at home. The message was a powerful one on the importance of not becoming too concerned with our sense of entitlement and to use ourselves to serve others.  Before the service even started I was in tears.

In my last post I made a reference to The Black Dog. Before we left our friend Tim explained to me that in South Africa they have a term for the emotional crash that comes after the emotional high, that term is "The Black Dog". I have been anticipating its arrival since a week before we left. On Saturday I was overcome with feelings of inadequacy as a parent, a wife and most importantly God's servant. This is not a new feeling for me and it stayed well into Sunday. I was encouraged by the fact that God will help lift my burdens. I need to remember that there are more important things in life than what I look like, how my children act and how capable I seem. I know I will struggle with those feelings again but I know I have someone to turn to.

Now that things have settled a bit more I find so many things that I love about being here. The food, particularly the fruit and vegetables, are fresh and sweeter than home. Not to mention SO much cheaper! I love the sun and the millions of people walking. I look forward to going to the second hand markets and picking out fabric for curtains back home. I look forward to sharing more of life "on the other side of the world" with my family and friends.

I ask that you would pray for Brian as he begins digging in to his research. I ask that you would continue to pray for the girls to adjust to life here. Please pray about a school for Jasper and activities outside of our home for Laura. Pray that we continue to adjust to each other and that our household is full of grace and love. I am blessed by all of you in my life! I would love to pray for you as well. Sending our love!!!


1 comment:

  1. Great updates! Love the pictures, but especially your honesty regarding your feelings and experiences. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete