The Weasel Clan

The Weasel Clan

Friday, November 26, 2010

SO Much to be Thankful For

We had a wonderful opportunity to host an American style Thanksgiving feast at our home here. Earlier in the week I checked the nearby grocery for a turkey with no success. I ended up buying three chickens instead. The day before we were to begin cooking Brian and I headed out to the City Market where we asked about a kulu kulu. The part we were in consisted of animal meat hanging in windows our just out on display, an open air butchery if you will. The smell of raw meat was a little overwhelming for this soft American. At first we were told there were no more turkeys to be found, only parts could be purchased. We stepped outside and as we waited for our cab driver one of the gentlemen sidled up to Brian and mentioned he could find a turkey for him. He made a phone call and then as if conjured up from a secret passageway an old man carrying a bag rushed past us. He and Brian disappeared back into the city market. A seven kilo frozen turkey was magically found and we now had ourselves a Thanksgiving staple. Now our only hope was that the power would stay on during the four hours it would take to cook this bird.






We invited the Bakkers, missionary friends, as well as Peter Ondeng and his lovely wife May to join us. I don't think I have been involved in a conversation so thought provoking in a long time. We discussed everything from the good and the bad that goes on in Kenya and Africa as a whole. We talked about Kibera and Niger. I was completely aware of how extremely fortunate and blessed I am. My heart was deeply touched. I was amazed at  how easy the group got along and how comfortable everyone felt. I was blessed beyond my wildest dreams by this gathering! Despite living in the U.S. for several years the Ondengs had never had a traditional Thanksgiving dinner.

Brian and I spent an hour or so at the Embassy on Wednesday signing papers and having them notarized in order to finalize the refinance on our house in the States. We got word earlier this week that the property manager found three guys to rent our house at least for the month of December. I hope and pray that we will have someone in there for the rest of the time we are here.

We looked at two vans to purchase and got a heads up on a few others. Yesterday some missionary friends who are going on furlough to the U.S. offered the use of their very large Land Rover. We now have a vehicle and will basically only have to cover the cost of maintenance.

Over and over again I am amazed by the way God has provided for us. Although we have been here a little less than a month I have learned SO many things about myself and the love God feels for me. I have been struggling so much with really random emotions. I find that I am already thinking about the struggle my family and I will have in going back to the States. There are so many things here that I have come to love and have found value in. While we may not always have power or water we always have each other. I am blessed by my family and by the experience we are having. I do miss my multi grain cheerios but I love the fresh fruit and the sweet flavor you don't get in the States.

I love the friendships my children have formed and the comfort there is in knowing they are safe. I like being able to send them out without wondering if they will be stolen from under my nose. I like that I am comfortable letting them go from one apartment to the other without fear of what (or who) they are being exposed to. The kids care for each other in a way they don't in the states, they respect elders unlike in the states. They teach each other and they have taught me too.

Please continue to pray for Brian's research work. Pray that he has a good system and that the information is available. So far he has been surprised at the swiftness that things have happened. Please pray for wisdom and grace while we make some decisions over the next week in regard to our living situation. I am blessed by all of you in my life. I am SO very thankful for all of you. I miss you very much. I am also glad I don't have to be there for the crummy weather... :)

1 comment:

  1. Peg, you sound so content and happy. I'm so glad. I will continue to pray for you! Keep on posting. It is fascinating stuff!

    ReplyDelete