The Weasel Clan

The Weasel Clan

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Loss Of Control

Some of the kids' playmates

The connection as I write this is extremely slow. I may have to add more pictures later.

This week we finally got our curtains. What a huge difference it makes! I no longer feel like our family is on display. Since we are in the ground floor apartment at night the lights from the parking lot flooded my bedroom. I wondered if the watchmen, whose station is directly across from the bedroom window, could see when I had to get up in the middle of the night. Brian tried to convince me otherwise but I couldn't bring myself to believe him.




Brian and I went out to one of the second hand markets to find some household items. It was nice to have some time with just the two of us. It was also nice to move my legs for a few miles. I have been feeling the itch to run. I do believe the lack of physical activity is getting to me. I suffer a bit more in the insecurity and patience areas when I am stationary. I am desperate to run. I can't have my running shoes gathering dust. Also, if I don't run now I can't race later and I would feel silly for not taking the opportunity to run the Kili Half Marathon while I am here.

I find it challenging to give up control of everyday things. Back at home I do it all myself. I do not know how to properly delegate duties without feeling like a parent. Which in itself has provided challenges. The lack of a regular schedule also does not help. We plan to figure something out this weekend. We have decided to home school both boys as it will provide more financial room for us to do traveling while we are here. There are enough families with young kids in our apartment complex that socializing will be no problem. Also once we establish a church the kids should meet more playmates.

More and more things are feeling like home. It has been a challenge for Brian to live in Nairobi as it is not the Kenya he grew up with. Though it is a lot like the U.S. it does have some significant differences. I hope to post pictures of the second hand market as well as the place where we do most of our shopping. You will find that it is very much like what you would see at home.

I miss my family and my friends. In some ways it is very lonesome. Alaina still asks to come home everyday. Do not get me wrong, I am enjoying my stay here. I find a number of things that I enjoy and will miss when we leave. Have I mentioned the fruit and the price of the food? I hope this finds you well! I am blessed by all of you in my life. Thank you for your love, thoughts and prayer. You are also in our thoughts and prayers!!







1 comment:

  1. Both of our houses were new constructions and they don't come with curtains. I've done my fair share of crawling around the floor naked ;) though never as a minority.

    ReplyDelete