The Weasel Clan

The Weasel Clan

Monday, April 18, 2011

Toilets, Crocodiles and Snorkeling

We spent last week at the coast. It was absolutely lovely to be away from the city and to have a warm pool to swim in. Wednesday night we boarded the Mombasa Express. The boys were very excited and kept pretending they were going to Hogwarts, on the Hogwart's Express. We had a semi sleepless night as the trained bounced along the track stopping now and then at the numerous train stations along the way. The next day we still had about four hours until we reached our destination. We watched the scenery, I took pictures and the kids watched at least one movie. Shortly before we reached the final train station I headed to the washroom. I had tucked the small research camera (Brian's) I had been using to take pictures in my front pocket. The toilet is a hole in the floor that opens right out onto the track. As I  was pulling my jeans back up the camera slipped out of the pocket and right out the hole. I admit I uttered a number of inappropriate words and flew out the door. I frantically told Brian I had dropped his camera. In my denial and delirium I stated that I could jump out run back and get it and get back to the train. Brian was more realistic and graceful. I am quite attached to cameras and in particular to the pictures. I had some pretty cool shots and I was severely disappointed to have lost them. Even a few days later I had a hard time reconciling my loss. I could have done this, I should have left the camera in the room... I finally came to the conclusion that I have another camera and I lost pictures of my family, not my family itself. I still struggle with it but what can you do?

After we arrived we hopped in the taxi and headed out to our "resort". We stayed an hour outside of Mombasa. We took the small ferry off the island and headed south.





We spent the next week swimming in the pool, snorkeling at the beach, getting eaten by mosquitoes and melting in the heat and humidity. The kids were in the pool at least twice a day. Jasper discovered a love for snorkeling. He and Brian spent several hours in the ocean looking for fish and other sea creatures. Jasper decided he wants to be a marine biologist. Milo, the girls and I spent the time on the beach looking for shells and other beach treasures.








We took a morning trip on a dhow, a cross between a canoe and a small sail boat. We did a little bit of fishing but didn't catch anything. Milo spent the trip on the bottom of the boat and by the end Alaina had joined him. Brian and Jasper made an attempt at snorkeling. Zoe and I just enjoyed the ride.





We also took a day trip into the city and to Mamba Village. The kids got a kick out of seeing the crocodiles. They even got the chance to hold some babies.








The day we left we took a tour of Fort Jesus. The kids enjoyed going around the fort and looking at the cannons. It was cool to see a bit of the history from that area. After the tour we headed to the train station for the ride home. We all enjoyed out time away and were also happy to head back.











Alaina could not stop talking about her home. She is very excited to be back with her tiny bed, toys and her puppy. We are all feeling the pull toward home. We have enjoyed our time here very much. I told Brian last night that in some ways the time we have been here has felt almost surreal and that in going home we are headed back to reality. I am both excited and a bit sad thinking about our departure. Though if I'm being truly honest I am probably more excited being that I have begun packing. Jasper is looking forward to being back in school. We are all looking forward to having a bit more room and a bit more privacy. Before we know it we will be on an airplane and then landing back at home. Life will have resumed.

I feel so very blessed by the chance to have this experience. I have been exposed to issues in my heart and life that needed to be changed and to a different perspective on life in general. It has been life changing. My hope is to retain this and live a life of more impact and love. I am blessed by all of you in my life! Thank you for following us and encouraging us while we have been here. I look forward to seeing you all in the not so distant future!

No comments:

Post a Comment